The NIG Supercomputer
The National Institute of Genetics (NIG) provides state-of-the-art supercomputer system services equipped with large-scale clustered computers, large-scale memory-sharing computers, and large-capacity high-speed disk drives as a computational infrastructure for life and medical research.
Due to disk space constraints, we do not back up the data in the user home directory. It is the responsibility of the user to back up the data in their own computing environment.
- Request for data migration of some users due to the start of operation of the new storage system for databases (2023.04.21)
- ⚠ Extended deadline for account renewal application at the end of FY2022 (2023.03.23)
- Signature to the pledge is now an electronic signature by Adobe, instead of a stamp (2023.03.14)
- Opened Github Discussions (2023.02.08)
- The official support website for Bytix Archaea (formerly HCPtools), developed by CLEALINK TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd., has been released. (2023.01.10)
- 🧬 Added the introduction page of the Imputation Server developed by Genome Analytics Japan Inc. (2022.10.18)
May 13, 2022(Friday) - Suspend acceptance of application for new use for the personal genome analysis section and large-scale storage on the general analysis section
Thank you very much for using the NIG supercomputer.
Due to the computing resources of CPU and Disk are current very tight, we suspend application for new use for the following users.
- Application for new use using large-scale for the general analysis section
- Application for new use of personal genome analysis section users
The following applications will be accepted as before.
- For current alreay large-scale users for the general analysis section and the personal genome analysis section users, we will continue to accept additions of resources to chang the usage plan table as before.
- Regular user registration for the general analysis section will also be accepted as before. In this case, the disk memory will be limited to the default setting of 1TB.
- For using of the service for workshops, etc.
Thank you for your understanding that we may not be able to meet your request in such cases.
The timing for resuming application for new use will be decided by checking the availability of computer resources. The availability forecast for each 4 month period will be posted on the website as needed. When you plan to use it, refer to the outlook for availability and submit your usage plan in advance. However, please note that availability is not guaranteed and we may not be able to meet your request.
Applying for a renewal of your account of the end of the fiscal year
If you want to continue using our service in the next fiscal year (2023), you need to Applying for a renewal of your account of the end of the fiscal year for the fiscal year 2022 by
31 March 7 May 2023.
(Those who applied after January do not need to apply for an end-of-year account renewal for the next financial year.)
Due to the renewal of the application system in July 2022, there have been some cases of system malfunctions when applying. For information on how to deal with this, please refer to FAQ. We apologise for the inconvenience but we would appreciate your cooperation.
Scheduled maintenance in FY 2022
Scheduled maintenance for FY2022 has been completed.
- (Ended) June 28, 09:00 - July 1, 2022, 00:00(24h)
- (Ended) December 2, 17:00 - December 8, 2022, 24:00(24h)
The following will be implemented as in previous years.
- Changes to plans with charges for 2022 (FY2022) have been closed as of 31 December.
- Applying for a renewal of your account of the end of FY are accepted from January 2023.
- From January 2023, we start accepting applications for the usage plan table for next year.
Scheduled for FY 2023
Regular maintenance is scheduled once.
- Around December (during the NIG's legal power outage)
As CentOS 7 will reach End-Of-Life on 30 June 2024, the OS of the NIG supercomputer will be migrated to Ubuntu Linux gradually from around August 2023. When the migration plan is decided, we will announce it on our website.
- We plan to migrate as little as possible, but the number of available computer nodes will be temporarily decreased.
- The OS is changed, so the user's analysis environment may also need to be migrated.
The following will be implemented as usual.
- June 30: Account suspension process for users who have not renewed at the end of the fiscal year
- July 31: Billing service 1st period closing date
- November 30: Billing service 2nd closing date
- December 31: Deadline for changes to plans with billing
- Applying for a renewal of your account of the end of FY are accepted from January 2024.
- From January 2024, we start accepting applications for the usage plan table for next year.
The activities of the NIG Supercomputer System are evaluated by your acknowledgments. If your paper using our supercomputer system is accepted, please write your acknowledgments by referring to the following example.
Computations were partially performed on the NIG supercomputer
at ROIS National Institute of Genetics.