Target users of the NIG supercomputer
As a member of the Inter-University Research Institute Corporation, National Institute of Genetics operates a supercomputer system for the purpose of providing resources for life science research and education focusing on genetics.
As a general rule, users can use the NIG supercomputer for free. But from the viewpoint of business continuity and promotion of efficient use of computational resources, we provides billing services for storage of especially large-scale data and using additional services.
On the other hand, the supercomputer system is subject to Export Administration Regulations under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act (FEFTA), and are subject to punishment if used for weapons manufacturing purposes. In the context of these circumstances, in the NIG supercomputer, we issue login user accounts for the following people.
- A domestic resident as prescribed in FEFTA, and a faculty member of a university or a public research institute
- A collaborative researcher of 1. or a researcher, a student, a researcher of contractors, etc. under the guidance of 1. (including international students, overseas job transfer, overseas researchers)
In principle, the purpose of use and results are open to the public. However, if you want to postpone the release date, contact us.
Application for use
- New Use Application
- Check Issuance criteria for user accounts, Use Policy and the following "The responsible person" in advance.
- For foreign nationals and those residing abroad, read the following "Precautions for FEFTA".
Precautions for FEFTA
If your nationality or current residence stipulated by FEFTA is the areas other than listed in appended table 3 of the Export Trade Control Order of Catch-All Controls, provide us with the following information a)b)c) for the examination when applying for an account. (Refer to the section of related laws and regulations. )
- a) Education, Professional experience and research content
- b) Current Employment status (full-time or part-time)
- c) whether you fall under the specific categories formulated by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
# Whether or not the applicant is a domestic resident stipulated by FEFTA. (Whether or not the period of residence in Japan is for six months or more.)
The applicant OOO is a non-resident. The reason is that they have been in Japan for less than six months, reside overseas or foreign employees.
The applicant OOO currently belongs to xxx university and has a supercomputer account, but will be changed to the following overseas research institutes from MM 20YY.
# Answer each question as below.
a) Education, Professional experience and research content
Sep 2014 - Jul 2016
xxx University, Paris, France
Postdoctoral Researcher in NGS Data Analysis related of xx genomic data
Apr 2009 - Mar 2014
xxx University, Tokyo, Japan
Ph.D. in Protein sequence analysis
Aug 2016 - Present
xxx University, Tokyo, Japan
Assistant Professor of analysis of xx genome sequence and RNA sequence information
b) Current Employment status
full-time or part-time
c) whether you fall under the specific categories formulated by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
The responsible person
From the viewpoint of security traceability, specify the responsible person when applying for use.
- The responsible person must be the above "A domestic resident as prescribed in FEFTA, and a faculty member of a university or a public research institute".
- A UNIX group is created for each responsible person.
- Resource usage is calculated for each group under the responsible person and is subject to billing.
- To use the billing service, the responsible person must submit a usage plan table. Therefore, you will not be unintentionally charged without the consent of the responsible person.
The responsible person must agree to the following.
- Research results using the supercomputer will be basically published, but at that time, the responsible person is a public decision maker.
- The responsible person belongs to an institution that has no problem in use in light of the purpose of the Inter-University Research Institute Corporation.
- To guide the user not to use the NIG supercomputer for purposes other than those applied by the user, and from the perspective of traceability of the cause and responsibility when something unexpected happens, the user and the responsible person must be able to verify the identity, identification, and contact information can be done at your institution.
- When a bill is issued to the responsible person when a charge is incurred, the billing must be able to handled by the office work in your institution. Consider this regardless of whether or not a bill is actually issue at this time.
If there is no problem with these, the user themselves can be the responsible person.
We ask the responsible person to submit a written pledge when applying for use of the user.
- Pledge ① "The applicant and the responsible person is the same"
- Pledge ② "The applicant and the responsible person is different" (a collaborator or student, etc.)
To: Fumio Hanaoka, the Director-General of National Institute of Genetics
As the person in charge of management, I understood the usage details of the applicant ＊＊＊＊＊＊＊ and make sure I manage and guide the applicant appropriately.
I pledge that I do not use the NIG supercomputer for any inappropriate purpose, such as sharing an account, using it for a purpose different from the application content, violating the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law, etc.
Date: / /
(yyyy) (mm) (dd)
Name and Signature:
- From the viewpoint of security traceability, it is strictly prohibited to share the user account with multiple people and to use the NIG supercomputer for purposes other than the purpose for which you have applied.
- If you violate it, we may take measures such as suspending your account.